A site about the radio listening hobby and my activities therein - longwave, mediumwave, shortwave, FM, and television DXing. A site about the radio listening hobby in all its forms, or at least the forms that interest me.

I am also a licenced amateur radio operator, callsign VE3LXL. Information about my amateur radio station is found on my station website.

Tuesday 16 September 2008

WQEW - 1560, New York

One of the stations I logged today on the SRF-59 was WQEW, 1560, New York. This is a station that always makes me feel annoyed when I hear it. The reason is that back in the late 1970s and early 80s, when I first got interested in radio, this station was WQXR, the classical music station of the New York Times. It was one of the best stations on the dial, and because it came in quite well at night where I was then living, I used to listen to it a lot. But WQXR has moved to FM now, and the 1560 station, with its powerful signal that still booms in across eastern North America at night, is now wasted on the inane programming of Radio Disney. Do kids even listen to this stuff, and if they do, do you really need a 50 kW clear channel station to broadcast it?

No comments: