A site about the radio listening hobby and my activities therein - longwave, mediumwave, shortwave, FM, and television DXing. A site about the radio listening hobby in all its forms, or at least the forms that interest me.

I am also a licenced amateur radio operator, callsign VE3LXL. Information about my amateur radio station is found on my station website.

Sunday 12 July 2009

Some Real FM DX

On Mon. July 6, I got some real DX on FM. There was an E-skip opening underway when I got home from work and I managed to get IDs on three stations. (Sporadic E-skip is a propagation mode on VHF where distant signals get refracted back to Earth by highly ionized patches in the E-layer of the Earth's ionosphere).

Here are the three stations I identified. Dates and times in UTC:
  1. WMFE-FM, 90.7, Orlando FL, 2009-07-06, 22:47-22:53, 100 kW, NPR.
  2. WKGC-FM, 90.7, Panama City FL, 2009-07-06, 22:53-22:55, 100 kW.
  3. WVAS, 90.7, Montgomery AL, 2009-07-06, 22:55-23:15, 80 kW, Jazz & ID on hour with location.
Total Toronto FM log count is now 68.

E-skip is one of those phenomena that makes radio propagation so fascinating. Normally FM signals are purely local or regional, but under certain conditions, conditions that occur sporadically and unpredictably, they can travel thousands of miles and sound almost local when they arrive. That sort of thing is fascinating.

No comments: