A site about the radio listening hobby and my activities therein - longwave, mediumwave, shortwave, FM, and television DXing. A site about the radio listening hobby in all its forms, or at least the forms that interest me.

I am also a licenced amateur radio operator, callsign VE3LXL. Information about my amateur radio station is found on my station website.

Monday 13 August 2012

BBC Radio 5 Live 909 kHz and XLW295 162.55 MHz

Just two things to report for my final night in Labrador. Location: L'Anse au Clair.
  • Tentative: BBC Radio 5 Live, 909 kHz, from somewhere in the UK, at 0020-0035 UTC. English, with poor signal. Received on Kaito KA-1103 using its internal ferrite bar antenna. Talk about the London Olympic games, the closing ceremonies of which had just ended an hour or so earlier. Call-in show with all callers from various locations in the UK. All accents British. No ID, so it is tentative, but the station was clealy from the UK and BBC Radio 5 Live is the only UK station on this frequency. Location unknown, as it transmits from numerous locations on 909 kHz. Also, this is a relog for me. I heard BBC Radio 5 on this frequency in 2007 when I was in Twillingate, NL.
  • XLW295, 162.55 MHz, Mount St. Margaret NL, at 0905 UTC with good signal. Environment Canada weather radio, but something was wrong because the only thing it was transmitting was its ID announcements in English and French. No weather.

No comments: